Sunday, May 5, 2013

Question of the Week: The Best Read Aloud Ever...

Photo Credit
Just for fun (and because sometimes I'm really do need creative and tried-and-true suggestions) I'll be posting a QUESTION-OF-THE-WEEK on Monday. Sometimes about homeschooling, sometimes about parenting, always random and maybe a little unpredictable, but mostly for amusement and sharing. So, just comment your answers below and feel free to comment on comments! :wink: But remember, it's just for fun so keep it friendly. (You guys already knew that though, right?)

Question-of-the-Week
What books and/or authors are your favorite read alouds? or the stories your kids just don't want you to put down? Why?

7 comments:

  1. We are currently reading Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis. We are LOVING it! We also recently read the Spiderwick Chronicles series and the kids really like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *I've* read those, but not the kids! I should add them to my list. I'm reading "The Great Brain" to the younger kids.

      Delete
  2. My favorite read-alouds are Bible stories and shorter books. I am realizing that long chapter books don't work well for us for read-alouds, better to read on our own and then discuss. Shorter books work best for us for read alouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about the shorter books! I have been trying REALLY hard to do long chapter books for read alouds, but it's tough! If we get completely through 3 a YEAR we're doing well. Oftentimes we get sidetracked and reading aloud gets pushed off and before I know it its several days later and it's hard to get back into the story.

      Delete
  3. "The Read-Aloud Handbook" (Trelease) is supposed to be really good! I haven't read it personally and it's not at my library. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have read most of the Anne of Green Gables series and for Christmas we read one of the series that includes Jotham's Journey. I read to my kids until they graduate from high school!

    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog and my photo day in the life of our homeschool. I have graduated two and have two more to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Anne of Green Gables, but is it easy to read aloud?

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!