Friday, August 9, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal: The One Before We Go North


In My Life This Week
It was a VERY SLOW week for us. A week spent bike riding, taking the dogs for a walk, chasing ducks back into our yard, playing Minecraft, watching shows on Netflix, and reading.

Oh, and I finished shopping for our trip north and have piles of clothing and shoes scattered around my bedroom. I'll be stuffing suitcases soon.


Things We Worked On
Jake and I removed the metal tub "pond" from the run this week. Our Princess Pekins decided that they were NOT going to swim in it. :sigh: Our plan was to put the old sandbox back in, but we cracked it in the process. What to do now? Ah-ha! I decided to flip over the lid to the sand box! It has a "shallow depth" ledge around the top and a deeper middle! Perfect in case another hen ends up in the pond and struggles to get out. (Poor Big Rhodie! We're thankful we found her in time as she was utterly exhausted.)


What's Cooking?
I made a BIG pot of alphabet soup this week. (Find the recipe here.) I tweaked it just a TEENY TINY bit. :wink: I cooked up a 1/2 pound of ground turkey (because it needed using) with oil, garlic and onion, and then everything else I added right into the same pot. No cooking the pasta or the potatoes separately. Who wants to do any more dishes than they have too, right? Oh, and I didn't exactly measure anything out either..and I used frozen veggies. But the result was a GREAT soup, served with homemade bread!

Photo Source

People & Places
• Lake Swimming • B__ A__ Director Meeting•

Homeschool Happenings
Jake and I met with the director of the new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) high school he'll be attending this year for 9th grade. Although the building's remodel is a LONG way from completed, the director answered our questions and showed us around. B__ A__ should be a GREAT fit for Jake!

And Sam continued to learn lawn care. Soon, he'll be able to take over all the mowing and weed whacking. He's QUITE serious mowing...unless I ask him to stop and smile! LOL


I'm Thankful For...
...Amazon for replacing my Kindle Fire for charger port issues again. They're awesome! Now, we'll have our Kindle for our trip! (But will we have time to read?)


My Favorite Thing

Something to Share

As ALWAYS, linking up to these WONDERFUL blogs:
Homegrown Learners photo 79396fe0-1f8b-44f8-a90e-f8ca7bfa801e_zpsa74bcc3b.jpgHip Homeschool Hop Button

11 comments:

  1. I am wearing that homeschool t-shirt right now. What a great summer week.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you laid out your week into categories- I do not think I could organize the chaos in my brain enough to do that! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys have been having fun in the pond! I don't know about you, but I feel like summer weather never even really started and it's already pretty much over down here as I'm assuming it probably is for you too!

    Do have fun on your vacay for me! I'll vacay vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, looks like a nice relaxing week. They all look so happy swimming. We need a Sam to help with our lawn care. Too bad you live half a country away :-)

    Good luck stuffing suitcases!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your trip! Sounds like you've had a very relaxing Summer week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lake you all get to swim in. Is that near your house? We don't have lakes like that in the uk, al least not where we live.
    Have a wonderful time away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers! It's about 4 miles away! The kids have almost walked it...except a friend saw them and they got a ride! LOL

      Delete
  7. Glad you had a chance to take it easy last week! We did too. :-) So glad the school will be a good fit for Jake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you all had a great week. I love the pictures of the ducks and chickens. We had some backyard chickens and had to send them out to the country to live with friends. We actually miss those funny little creatures! Can't wait until we move to the country so we can have chickens again...and even ducks!

    We had to replace my Kindle for the same reason a while back. I was absolutely giddy that Amazon replaced it!

    Hope y'all have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Amazon people too <3 Thanks, as always, for linking up to Thrilling Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun it looks like the kids are having at the lake! And so nice to see your feathered friends. I am following your blog now so that I can keep up (I followed your old one, but I guess I never updated).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!