Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Learning Something New Every Day


1. Are you ready for new? Is 2016 likely to be very different than 2015? Do you want it to be?


There's something special about a new year! It's almost like a "clean slate", a time to wipe away the old and welcome in the new, to make changes, shift goals, and move forward. Every year I hope for health, happiness, love, contentedness, knowledge and joy. What more is there? But if I had to pick something different then I would say MORE FAMILY EXPERIENCES together. Our kids are racing to adulthood and I want to enjoy time with them, making memories for a lifetime.

2. January 6th is National Technology Day. Currently, what is your single biggest struggle or frustration when it comes to technology?


My kids would say that my biggest struggle is EVERYTHING electronic, but it's not my fault that I have to tap into their knowledge every day concerning the Wi-Fi or laptop or Android. They're growing up with technology as a significant part of LIFE, and I didn't. Remember Apple IICs? Commodore 64s? That's what I learned on when I was my oldest son's age! I simply don't have the patience to learn code or any of the other stuff that involves more than a click of the mouse.

3. It's that time again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2016. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

So (at the start of every single sentence), conversation (as in hotly debated topics where we're invited to 'join the conversation'), problematic, stakeholder, price point, secret sauce, break the Internet, walk it back, presser, manspreading (common in larger cities where some men take up the entire bus or train seat by sitting wide), vape, giving me life (refers to anything that may excite a person or make them laugh), and physicality

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?


What's secret sauce? break the internet? walk it back? presser? vape? I haven't even heard these terms before! Although "breaking the internet" probably happens when I try to figure out the Wi-Fi connection...See question 2.

4. Share one of your current health related goals.

I'm joining my highly motivated daughter in walking our way to better health this year. I think I slow her down, but my feigning aches and pains amuses her so she encourages me to continue. 

5. Let's talk fifty shades of gray. As in the color. Gray is currently a popular color in home decor, paint, wardrobes, hair, wedding party attire, and more. Are you a fan? Do you have the color in some variation in your home or wardrobe?  Gray hair, the old gray mare, gray matter, gray area...which gray idiom can you most relate to right now?


There's not much gray here, but I do like a "heather" gray. I have some "heather" yarn waiting for project inspiration. And, no, there's nary a gray hair here! :: wink ::

6. Certain foods are considered 'lucky' if eaten on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. Cooked greens to bring economic fortune, black-eyed peas or lentils also symbolize money, pork which symbolizes progress, fish for good luck, and if you're in Spain 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight. Did you eat any lucky foods on the first day of the year? Is that a tradition in your home? Of the foods listed, which most appeals to you?


I've never heard of "lucky foods" to welcome in the new year. I'm learning a lot this week! Years ago we started a tradition of having mini Root Beer Floats on New Year's Eve. Perhaps because we don't drink "adult beverages" and wanted to do something WITH the kids? I don't remember how it really started. Anyway, this year was no different. We sent the kids to bed after midnight with sweet soda and vanilla bean ice cream in their tummies.

7. What's the single biggest time waster in your life and what, if anything, will you do about it this year?


My kids are wonderful. Really, they are! But they can't seem to pick up after themselves. Dirty cups, dirty clothing, coats discarded on the couch (or floor NEAR the closet), containers and boxes of foodstuff, books and games and videos, all left where they land, forgotten until Mom mentions taking care of them. I spend a lot of time and energy reminding them. Perhaps I should pick up after them and they can do MY chores instead? I'm more than willing to pass along scrubbing toilets, cleaning the litter box and cooking meals!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.



Join Joyce from From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge. Share in the randomness!

Happy Hodgepodging!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't had a rootbeer float in years. I love the idea of them, but can only handle a small sip. Good luck with your walking plan. It's nice to have company. Happy new year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce! That's why we have mini floats. I find root beer especially sweet without the ice cream. The kids love them though.

      Delete
  2. I love all of these Jesse. We eat black eyed peas and turnips every.single. New Years Day!! I can't wait to look at the list. Keilee and I started Yoga today. (so far we are really, really, didimention really bad at it), I don't really have a problem with Technology. I pretty much 'get' all I use. Which isn't that much! Happy 2016!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black eyed peas aren't a thing in New England. I did have them while we lived in the Midwest. I'm not if my kids have even SEEN them...

      Delete
  3. So glad I'm not the only one who didn't recognize those word terms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I've heard of "so", but really most of them are foreign. Not used around these parts! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!